Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I'm going to Haiti in less than a month!

Well, for those who don't know, I will be going on a mission trip to Haiti with a group from my church. We leave early on Feb. 1 and get back really late on Feb. 6.

Yes, this is WAY outside my comfort zone, and I am nervous.
Yes, I am VERY excited about it. I know that I'll learn a lot from this.

I have been talking about going to the House of Hope, an orphanage my church has helped to build in Haiti, for the last two or three years. Someone I know stepped up and volunteered to sponsor me to go on the trip, covering my travel and housing expenses. I was shocked. But I am very grateful for the sponsorship. Without that, I couldn't afford to go.

Now, I'm working on the details - what I need to pack, getting immunization shots next week, keeping my mother calm, making sure my work at the newspaper is covered...

Oh - and I'm planning to write some stories for the newspaper while I'm there. That will be fun, I think.

I also plan to talk about my experiences on this blog - the good, the bad and the ugly. :-) So stay tuned.


Some information about the House of Hope can be found here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/House-of-Hope-Orphanage/117614274976720?fref=ts

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for you! I had no idea you was being sponsored, how awesome is that!! What a gift, & I know its one you will cherish forever! I can't wait to read your blog, see your pictures,( and scrapbook pages ) and hear your stories when you return. I love you my friend, & I'll say extra prayers for you next week!

    ReplyDelete