Saturday, January 17, 2009

Joy cometh in the morning

Why does one person pack so much, I asked myself as I looked at this group of bags. They're all mine. And I feel like I need them ALL.
I thought I wouldn't need a big suitcase. So I borrowed a smaller, cute light blue one from my Rosie. But as I packed it - at 2 o'clock this morning! - I realized that everything would not fit in that bag. Not even close.
Thanks anyway, Rosie.
So I drudged out the big blue bag and filled it quickly with clothes and shoes.
The purple bag has my camera and some food. Take food with you, everyone said. So there are rolls of crackers and two cans of that chesses that squirts out of a can. And I have some gifts for my Maryland host family - homemade cards and some bottles of French Lick wine - good stuff I think. Since I can possibly pay them what they're overwhelmingly wonder hospitality is really worth, I decided to give them some unique things that they couldn't get just anywhere. (I have to remember to NOT tell them about this blog until after I give them their gifts.)
The blue bag holds my laptop and what seems to be too-many-yet-very-vital cords - for my computer, cell phone, bluetooth earpiece, iPod and extension cord.Keeping up with today's technology is a very buiky endeavor. And I'm still not totally caught up. My phone is not an iPhone. My iPod is a Nano. And my MacBook only has Tiger, not the newer Leopard (or is it the other way around?). But it's good enough.
And the little red race car bag (I got it cheap at Dollar General, so I don't know whose number it is) has VitaminWater drinks and a pack of frozen bologna (still heeding the food advice of others).
Even my purse is a little heavier because of the bottle of water inside.
I finished packing all but the computer bag at 4 a..m. By the time the alarm went off at 6 a.m. I felt like I'd never been to sleep. Opening my eyes, I felt like warmed over death. It was hard to get up! But after I got a shower, it hit me...
I'm going to hit the road today! I'm going to see Obama!
I came alive - packing my last bag while whistling, "Signed, Sealed, Delivered."
Jarrod picked me up around 7:30 a.m. He didn't even blink twice when he saw all of my stuff. Then I saw all the bags he and his daughter, Kiersten, brought with them. And I didn't feel so bad. It was still more than theirs, though. But I felt like they were kindred spirits. I mean, you never know what you might need, right?
We picked up Judy, Jarrod's mom, and got on the road around 8:30 a.m. Judy made us sausage biscuits and bacon biscuits, which were tasty.
And that's where I am now - In a really comfy seat behind the driver, reclined some, waiting for the zzzzz's to come. We're on Interstate 64, crossing the Indiana/Kentucky border. My belly is full and I'm toasty warm (aaahhhh). The temperature is 18 degrees and we're going southeast, according the display inside the van. Kiersten is watching a movie on her DVD player and Judy and Jarrod are chatting in the front seat. Jarrod is driving.
My carmates (I guess technically, I'm their car mate). were going to be in the mall for the inauguration. But at the last minute, Zach Pister was able to get them tickets. Zach is from Jasper and he works in U.S. Congressman Brad Ellsworth's office. He got tickets for his family and was able to scrape up three more. I'm happy for them.
I've gotten so many well wishes and notes to "enjoy this historic moment." Getting there has been a process - I feel like I'm in college again, scheming to get something or somewhere. I'm loving it!
I think it's time for a nap. Signing off, at 9:32 a.m.


  1. Have a great time Candy~ Your Thank you gifts sound wonderful and I am sure they will love them. How thoughtfull~!
    Take care and thanks for blogging.. Ill check in on you later. Im going to back to bed till I got to get up for church.. lol..